AEL’s Blast Consult team is a division of highly skilled engineers who assist both the AEL frontline and mine teams, to ensure that blasting is conducted efficiently and cost effectively.
Blast Consult mines the available data and provides expertise in a way that will help customers meet and exceed their production requirements.
The Blast Consult team have developed IntelliHub:
This software system is a receiving and launching platform for both its own suite of predictive software and links to enable data mining, interrogation and application of methodology. This predicts and automates the analysis of data pertaining to improved blast outcomes, to improve stripping rates, waste overburden and to improve recovery of minerals.
Our approach is not to own the data but have an open architecture environment in which customers can add or remove software modules to their needs, as well as, the ability to import data from other software packages and to export data from IntelliHub to other software platforms.
Our team takes the utmost care in designing blasting solutions that are not detrimental to people or the environment.
We’re constantly doing research to ensure we use the latest technologies to ensure continuous education around design blasting solutions for optimal results.
AEL’s Mining Optimisation makes use of the following three factors to ensure customer satisfaction:
To optimise blasting, we have tools and methodologies specifically designed to assist us in making scientific and informed decisions around blast performance assessment.
- Data collection and benchmarking
- Rock characterisation
- Blast and timing design
- Blast hole assessment
- Vibration and air blast monitoring
- Velocity of detonation measurement
We approach every mining operation in a holistic manner to ensure improved efficiency in equipment, plant and beneficiation. We conduct checks to ensure blasted rock suits and compliments the design of both the equipment and the plant by doing the following:
- Face velocity measurement
- 3D blast face survey
- High speed videography
- Rock mass motion study
- Much profile study
- Fragmentation analysis
- Blast modelling
- Efficiency measurement and monitoring
These activities are supported by our own sophisticated blasting software namely Winprof AEL, AEL Tie Up, AEL Tunnel, AEL Ring, and Hybrid Stress Blasting Model (HSBM).
Our Mining Optimisation Team offers expert training for blasters and supervisors that consists of the following:
- Blasting Competency Programme – offered for surface and underground operations.
- Explosive Handler, Blast Assistant and Rock Breaking Courses – forms the basis for certification through the MOA to become a licensed blaster in line with statutory laws.
- Explosive Engineer Course – graduate level course to train technical blasting and field staff. It focuses on advanced blasting applications and productivity improvement and equips AEL staff with the knowledge to provide value-adding recommendations.